Something I neglected to mention from the Sharks game merits it's own little postscript (I wrote the report in haste, so no doubt missed other ditties), but Benjamin "Soy Sauce" Sawyer took it upon himself to be the keeper for the first time in his life.
I would describe it as a steep learning curve. It looked a bit like one of those graphs of investment returns, hockey stick shaped starting at 0 and within a short period of time we're all millionaires, Rodney.
To begin, he was rubbish, byes and screams and generally he had no idea what he was doing. He squealed like a baby at least once I can recall, and it felt like an act of extreme generosity on our part to hand so many extras to the opposition.
Then Matt at slip had a quiet word in his ear and possibly deserves some sort of coach of the year award as things started to uptick, rapidly. Sawyer started taking cleanly, conventionally to start. He then edged further forwards to the bowlers, still taking it cleanly. Then, by the end he was snatching balls down the legside one handed as though he had been doing it his whole life, and was smiling and laughing whilst he did it.
It was mental. Like the before and after montage in an 80's film, let's say Rocky or maybe Team America: World Police - start shit, get good, short span of time (20 overs apparently). Yet we all got to watch it in real time.
He also got hit in the neck by the bails at least once.
I guess if you're good at sport, you can improve in the course of an hour.
It was delightful to watch.


No comments:
Post a Comment