The Jags 118-8, (Meldal 30, Threadgold 22, Douglas 3-13) lost to Barrington 151-5 (Batchelor 57, Douglas 34, Meldal 2-18) by 33 runs
MOTM - Fraser for his catch and his twirly bowling
It doesn't happen to us very often, and I honestly rather enjoyed being here on this particular occasion despite it all, but if you don't start well, it can set things off in the wrong general direction. On this occasion we threatened to start well and then lost our way.
We lost the toss, fielded, and got one of the openers second ball, Holmes getting him to push high to the mid off. O Savage did some bowling, J Holmes did some bowling, and I think we dropped a few catches. The 2 and 3 batsmen looked solid and untroubled for 5-6 overs of accumulation, with the occasional big hit. I did my absolute utmost in the field to introduce some chirp but it just had, from the end of the first over, one of those slight flat feelings that - the, oh dear, here we go. Matt dropped an edged chance behind here at one point, and possibly had his most teflon laden display behind the stumps that I can recall.
Next week's new keeper...
Brett had a bowl, slightly injured (we're all getting old mate) off a slower pace and I cannot recall much happening of note. Phillips did some fielding, I did some fielding. Mr Baker came on for an eventful over conceding 15 runs with a huge variety of bowling in one action packed over - some of which felt as though it belonged to another sport.F Christie did some bowling as well (the gorgeous twirly stuff) and we eventually got one caught and bowled by Brett. Their number 3 finished on 50ish, one of their other batsmen was fed some gorgeous pie related action to pile on the runs, before Meldal dismissed him bowled. Freddie then caught and bowled one at one point and I think was on a hat trick. I was still the only one chirping in the field. Towards the end, Ollie came back, and Christie did the bestest thing, catching a ball at deep wide long on with all the non-chalance he could muster, plucked from the air, relaxed as you like. There was also a run out, and Matt started to suck a little less behind the stumps than before. Christie continued to twirl his arms like a Morris Dancer on crack, which was amusing in itself.
Fraser getting into it at the weekend with his Uni mates
151 - totally chasable, but the mood was just a little sombre at the turn.
Parrish and Meldal got us off to a solid start with some 4's and things. Matt was then unfortunate to play on, a ball stuck in the pitch and he inside edged it onto the base of his stumps from high and slightly wide - it felt like physics was against him today. Barker then joined the action and guided the very next ball gently into the hands of point. Phillips faced the hat trick ball, with his entirely new and not knocked in bat, and kept it out before splicing the next one high off the blade. 11-3 inside two overs. Great.
I joined what even this early felt like a lost cause, and Freddie and I tried to rebuild. We managed to put a 40 odd run partnership together to guide us into the realms of the not that embarrassing. Freddie fancied the slow bowler at the change, and got 3 boundaries to him that all should really have been fielded or caught before he perished doing the exactly same thing. I hit my best shot of the season, clipping one off my pads to backward square, and the bench was deadly silent nonetheless.
Freddie fell caught, I had Threadgold for company for a bit and eventually I perished trying to force the pace a bit against yet another slow bowler, right arm round and near the stumps, chipping into the ring.
The game was not far off lost at this point, but Holmes and Threadhold put 30 odd on to get us past 100 before Holmes fell bowled. Threadgold fell caught and then George Baker did some very very eager running at the end of run Ollie Savage out for a full on hari-kiri of a 2. George and Fraser saw things out to a 33 run loss, not embarrassing, but the scorecard doesn't tell a full story. At least we avoided complete destruction as at one point, getting to 50 runs felt a stretch.
Matt ran off leaving his Ipad to make sure we got some pizza in at the Red Lion and we talked in the pub about literally every other game of cricket that was not the one we had just played.
No comments:
Post a Comment