One of the many many nice things about the Jags - cricket, pizza, beers, attempts at chat - is the way it aligns young and old. We always have some under 18's with some guys in the 40's, and we all get along and have a laugh. I think of it as a way for the old to feel young and the young to get an insight into adult life, and probably realise that just because we're old, doesn't mean we have it all figured out or have any good chat or ability at sport and we're just as immature as when we were their age.
How old I currently feel...
It also allows some hilarity to occur. In the pub after our last game I was chatting to Joe and Felix and mentioned that one of the funny things about being older than they is that I have all these cultural reference points that mean absolutely nothing to them. The films, TV shows, albums and books of my youth are often completely unknown to those in their teens and twenties.
I gave an example - X Files - easily a top 5 show from my youth. We all watched. Everyone had a crush on Scully. We all wanted to grow up join the FBI and find aliens. Anyone over 35. Joe and Felix looked bemused when I said, "X Files, we all watched it". Felix said, "what's that" and Joe said, "sounds like a crap sequel to Love Island". I could have died laughing then and there, whilst eating a lemon and chicken pizza, and been a happy man.
The kids are alright.

No comments:
Post a Comment